View Single Post
Stay away from my Member

Is Tom the "middle aged" bearded guy with the "rasta" themed -6 rallye style car, who recently had a new HSR 2.0 car at Ventura for $50K?

That car looked interesting and very clean overall. I didn't spend a lot of time going over it, but a couple things that stood out were the chopped windshield (even less remaining than a "Ginther" style from what I recall) and an unusual pressure-side rear-trunk-mounted (inside) oil cooler. The cooler had an electric fan, ducting, and the rear lid was louvered.

I asked him how the cooler setup worked, and he said he didn't know, the car had never really been "run" yet. I thought to myself...OK, self...$50K for a race car that not only has no proven history yet, but hasn't even been "run" yet ?!?!?!?!?!?! Hmmm. self, make a note to check back in 2 years. (It will either be $60K, or $15K by then, LOL).

It did look like fun, but I'd be leery of a car built to tight vintage class specs like HSR 2L challenge...unless that windshield setup is grandfathered (old chassis & logbook) you couldn't run it with other groups, right?

Not to mention it's not a very stiff or safe setup -- there of course was no "halo" etc on the cage...IIRC it was caged vintage-style i.e. everything down low and bare minimum.

Oh yeah, re. Otto, yes he still does -6 conversions and has access to, and existing stashes of parts, yes he does excellent work, and yes he isn't cheap. He has a philosophy of not "half-a$$ing" these cars. If your car needs something he views as "essential" (brakes, fuel lines, etc) it will not leave the shop without that being fixed -- period. You cannot bring your car there and say "do this only and ignore anything else, don't go over $300". Under those conditions he probably would decline to work on it at all. Some guys don't agree with his personality or how he does things, but he knows this stuff better than 95% of the hacks out there and has a shop & race record to back that.

When I walk into a shop and see like 200+/- Porsche race & rally trophies going back 30 years, that is a serious immediate credibility boost....the fact that the shop is really damn busy day after day, year after year is a good clue too.

Pick your mechanics/shops wisely guys, mistakes can be even more expensive than going the 'right' way in the first place.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle

Last edited by campbellcj; 09-20-2002 at 08:57 PM..
Old 09-20-2002, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)