View Single Post
schmidlapp

Garage
Successfully repaired the condenser.
This is what I did, I was able to "cut out" about an inch of the finned area where the tubing connects. cleaned it very well, use silver solder to repair the connection. after I soldered it, i re inforced the soldered area with about 1/4 inch
layer of good old JB weld. I then fabricated a steel bracet and attached it to the
condenser frame on both sides and used a small u bolt to hold the fitting to the bracket. I then used another layer of JB around the u-bolt and fitting to prevent any movement. I think the original one fractured by stress of the hose vibrating around.
This bracket should eliminate any movement. After I repaired this, I pressure tested the condenser for a couple hours and it held just fine.
I then re-painted the repaired area a matte finish black to match the rest of the condenser. Its very hard to tell it was worked on except for the small area I had to cut out. Its all recharged and my vent temp is consistenly about 30 degrees lower than the outside air temp.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)