View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaradimos View Post
Hey Matt,
Did you replace the worn valve seals with engine in the car or did you drop the engine? will the valve stay up enough to do the work, if that cylinder is at TDC?
LMK
Thanks
Hi

I had a bent valve stem as a result of a broken valve spring. I pulled the motor and put it on a stand and stripped it just enough to remove one head to change the valve. As I had one broken spring, I replaced all twelve sets and used new viton stem seals while I was in there (there's that phrase again!). Given the fiddly nature of the job, I'm glad I had the engine out. Still, others may have left the motor in?

As for your second question, the memory is a bit fuzzy. I recall the valve dropped "a bit" while I was fiddling with the springs, seals, retainers etc. What made it no problem was that it didn't drop far before resting on the piston and I could use a finger through the intake or exhaust port to push the valve up via its stem before adding the keepers. IIRC, it was necessary to have the valve all the way up (using the finger) in order for the keepers to go in properly.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)