View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I've never noticed any cables getting hot, but that would lead me to think there is some resistance in there some where. Possibly from a loose connection at the battery, starter or alternator.

What would happen if if the insulation was worn and it was just BARELY grounding out?
I would agree with checking/cleaning/tightening up the connections mentioned, as well as the negative ground side.

As far as insulation barely grounding out, well....consider what your welder set on DC does. With all those amps available in the battery just waiting to find a ground - even a weak one - a small arc would almost instantly weld itself to ground. Then, you want to talk SMOKIN' hot cables! Ground out a battery and you can get instant 150+ amp draw.

I guess next time I drive mine, I'll have to see how hot my positive cable gets. Might just be normal for these cars for all we know.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)