View Single Post
beancounter

I chose a stock 930, and if I could do it over I'd go with modded for the reasons others have mentioned above. In my own defense, I really had no idea that I'd be so bitten by the mod bug with this car. I've managed to stay pretty close to stock on all the other vehicles I've owned over the years.

The one thing I will say with a stock car is at least you know what you have (if its truly stock and unmolested). The factory manual and bentley books will actually be helpful for you if you DIY. Mods can be done well and make sense, or they can be a $hitshow...if you've educated yourself enough to know the difference (or know/pay someone who does), then going modded makes a lot of sense (and saves a lot of dollars).

With respect to reliability, there is certainly a point "of no return" as stated by the OP but I can't say exactly where it is...subjective methinks. I think its important to keep in perspective that even in stock trim, these engine can be damaged easily if not properly looked after. Consider that bone stock Euro spec 3.3 turbos were rated at about 90hp per liter. That's a pretty healthy specific output even compared to many modern vehicles and especially considering its an old-tech, air cooled, two valve per cylinder lump. Upping the ante is possible but either way watch your AFRs, fueling and ignition timing. I'm not expecting mine to go as long as a Honda before the next rebuild either
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)