View Single Post

Since this thread will be here a while and others will be buying these cars...

Just a comment. No one addressed BA's comments about leak down tests. He wrote about this more than once. Mainly, it is easy to have something very small screw up a leak down test and make something think an engine has big problems. He experienced more than one where an engine ended up being pulled and taken apart... for no good reason. Small example, you remove the plugs and in the process of turning over a very small bit of carbon came off the plug. It gets somewhere....and.... Do you see where this is going?

You will also notice that the engine shown above showed a problem with a simple and much less expensive compression test.. a year prior to all this.

I will suggest the following to everyone. A lot of people are going overboard. Do you really want to pay the addition shop fees for a leak down? Frankly, I have seen a great compression and leakdown on a 930 that had several broken rings! In fact, a great many of these good running, non oil comsuming, non smoking.. .fine running 930s have broken rings! Why? People like ... boost. These engines take the beatings enthusiasts give them and keep on going. They only go bad when they are really hammered or the owner is absent-minded while on boost. I have seen a bunch of these engines ruined when the owners ignored the overboost had rusted shut! They sure enjoyed the rocket ride while it lasted... but those were awfully expensive rides.

I suggest common sense. A good inspection with a compression test and throughly inspecting for signs of neglect and abuse. If it passes these with flying colors, you are wasting money including leak down. You want leak down? Fine. It's your money.

911s since 1968.
930s since 1985.
JR
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)