Thread: Schizoid Boost
View Single Post

So many places the air pressure could leak between the turbo and the intake ports including the bakelite injector blocks which eventually crack, you just have to take everything apart and check it all out.

Most people won't believe it until they see proof of it themselves but all the o-rings on the turbo outlet, charge pipe, intercooler, and throttle body absolutely suck in all respects and leak some air under boost even if they are brand new and seated flush with no gaps anywhere.
Try and find an oring setup on any turbo race car... it does not exsist because they leak.

Ther proof I have is from the 2 UMW K27HFS turbo rebuilds I've had mounted on the car that pumped more oil into the intake than BP could if they tried after only 1000 miles each while occasionally boosting no higher than 1-1.05 bar in first, second, and part of 3rd gear on I-95 entrance ramps.

When those turbos were blowing oil mist into the intake and oil smoke out the exhaust all the intake o-rings were new and seated perfectly and some oil sprayed out of the o-rings at the bottom of the charge pipe where it fit on to the K27 o-ring adaptor and also around the o-ring on the throttle body where the Garretson long neck intercooler fit perfectly over it.
If you have oil mist leaking out than air is going with it.

The best setup is multiple ply reinforced silicone hoses from a hose shop and good worm drive hose clamps or T-bolt hose clamps and not the cheap lightweight crap made for the ricer turbo market.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)