Thread: MPS
View Single Post

MPS

I have a stock '74 2.0L.

Well, I got the engine all finished after having the heads rebuilt and installed in the car. I got the car started and fine tuned (to the best of my ability). It is runninig better than it has in many years.

I have a question though. When doing all the fine tuning things, I was testing the MPS and found the resistance between pins 8 and 15 was not 350 ohms. Thinking that I had a busted MPS, I decided to take the blasted thing apart just out of curiosity. To my surprise, it had about an ounce of motor oil inside. I am guessing that it has been sucked in through the air distributor and that the source of this oil is the vacuum line coming from the PCV valve. Does any of this sound right to you?

Later, I remembered the post telling that the 8 and 10 pins are the two with a resistance of 350 ohms. I cleaned and reassembled the MPS, installed and adjusted it and it seems to be working fine without all that oil.

I am thinking of trying to rig some sort of filter in the vacuum line from the PCV valve to prevent this from happening again. Good idea or bad idea? I would like to hear some opinions on this.

Thanks

Pritchard

[This message has been edited by Pritchard (edited 12-06-1999).]
Old 12-06-1999, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)