View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jim,
Be careful there is some snake oil out there. I read on this forum about a smart guy (smarter than me) who did some tests on the claims of the spark plug wire people. His summary, all garbage.

Basically, there are two types of plug wires, solid wire, and composite. The solid wire is for racing where you don't care about radio frequency interference (RFI) and copper seems to be the best choice although there are some exotic metals out there that make doubtful claims.
The composite can be fiberglass or graphite impregnated material and these are street wires. They are more flexible and work just as well as solid wire.

The insulation is important to keeping the wires from melting and that is why you see the braid on the OEM wires. The resistance in the wires is a consideration but since the runs are short, there is not much electrical loss even with the high voltage and relatively low current.

Remember you are just trying to get the pulse (or pulses in the MSD systems) of high voltage electricity to the spark plug so it can short itself to ground (engine). If you can do this without causing static on your radio, or melt the wires to the metal work, or have the insulation break in a sharp radius, you are in good shape.

I think our biggest issue is with the connectors on the distributor and at the other end where the wires go through the cam tower to the heads. I priced an OEM set for my car and I feel the price is extreme at $339 for six wires (and a short coil wire). Then I saw the Clewett wires for $574! That to me is just crazy. I like our host's option of the DIY set of wires for $169, more reasonable and with the right ends fitted. But not available for my car, sheesh.

Mark
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)