View Single Post

There are a lot of 930's where the motor was toast with well under 50k miles and examples of those going 200k on the original long block.

Moded saves money but to me adds somewhat to the question to condition. However, even a stock 930 you will never know if the owner had jacked the boost, added to the wear, or cracked a ring.

I lean toward getting one with the mods I want. At a minimum a good intercooler as they can be expensive and are getting harder to find. One from Andial like above, Koklen, or one from a stock 91-94 911 Turbo. If you are going to track it, the stock suspension is to much fun and should be addressed. Even a low mileage 930's suspension bushings are probably in need of replacement just from time as they sag and this can damage the torsion bars from rubbing. Doing bushings, torsion bars, alignment and corner balancing can be several thousand dollars.

Basically buy the best condition 930 you can find. It if has a fresh motor from a respected builder that is a bit plus.

One specific. If it dose not have Carrera chain tensions, install them. You might be more lucky than I but I lost one 930 motor because I did not have them.

Lastly, it is probably a great time to buy a 930. There are some good ones to be had and I suspect when the economy firms up they could see the appreciation that the long hood 911's have.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)