Thread: Fuel question
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastm70 View Post
Grounded the overboost sensor wire and still starts but dies. Same result with the metering plate switch connector removed. I cleaned the fuses and relays in the front fuse box and it stayed on more than before but still died. Now say I crank the engine, it starts but dies. I try to starts again but it only cranks no start. I have to wait about 10 seconds to be able to start it.
Hmmm.....

You also said: Looked for relays under the seats but nothing was found.

Does your car not have an oxygen sensor/lambda control system? I'm not familiar of when these were put on the US market cars, but all the control stuff would be under the drivers seat...including the speed relay which can at times be the fault (my understanding is that that's where the white wire from the overboost sensor terminates, so a bad connection there would stop things).

I had a similar issue for a short spell where the car would start and run for a second then shut down. Cleaned with electrical contact cleaner both fuel pump relay female plugs and also replaced both relays just because. Problem went away...so far. Recommend disconnecing the wires to the relays at the fuse box, cleaning the wires, then re-torquing them back in place. And maybe a couple new relays as well. I hate to throw money at things unless absolutely necessary, but at leas the relays are relatively cheap ($14 IIRC).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)