Thread: EFI for 3.2SS??
View Single Post
I would rather be driving

This sounds like a fun motor and this type of build has been proven. I would highly suggest EFI using ITBs. The DC60 cam will want to run up to at least 7500 (and will still pull hard). At this engine speed I personally do not think that a common plenum setup (3.0 or 3.2) will support the airflow required. Adapting a 3.6 manifold is another story.

My first question would be... What do you want to do with the car? The DC60 cam is great but is designed for high rpm applications such as DE or track. If you are more likely to spend time on the street or AX I would suggest less cam to build in the torque down low. Likewise, the DC60 cam would benefit from shorter gears to match the high-rpm nature. Your stock SC gears may feel tall and make the car feel somewhat lethargic. Keep in mind these are subjective thoughts. Overall, the new engine will greatly outperform stock. It is just the notion that you want to modify the drivetrain as a complete system where every part works in synergy.

I might recommend the 40 cam similar to what Justin built. I have the same cam in my ST replica. I really like it. I had mine ground with the 108 lobe center. This helps the EFI get a nice smooth vacuum signal through reduced reversion pulses. Overall, this would not be a problem with a common plenum however it is an issue with ITBs.

I am sold on EFI and like the fact that you can tune the engine to run well (optimum) everywhere in the power curve. This can sometimes be difficult to do with carbs. btw, if you search you might find that you can buy TWM 3003 ITBs for possibly less than you would spend for 46mm webers/PMOs.

I do like the tbitz kit for stock applications. Otherwise, buy a built Megasquirt system ($400) and assemble your own EFI around it. Get the MSII chip and run the MSII-Extra code for increased table resolution and newly coded ITB mode. This will greatly enhance your drivability.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)