View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Mid range, as in 4000 rpm? My SC didn't come on the cam until then and it wasn't very much fun to drive.
No, I'm not talking about "on the cam", and I don't consider 4,000 RPM "mid-range" for a 930 - my 930 when "almost stock" (but with SC cams) made peak power @ ~5700, what do your dyno charts say?

Motors with SC cams don't need to be "on the cam" or "on boost" to be drivable. You floor the throttle at 2000 RPM, they do something, they make torque, they go faster.

An RSR isn't "on the cam" until 5,000 RPM - you would be extremely unhappy driving that in traffic, because it makes no power at all until it is "on the cam".

964 cams - it's not a race cam, but they are more oriented towards top-end performance than SC cams. They were designed for an EFI motor - which helps you give up less below the power band and can get away with this.

Quote:
If your going to go to a cam with overlap (which hurts low speed performance) and more duration, why not go all in with the 964 cam like the factory used in the Turbo S?
AFAIK, the factory used SC cams on the 930S?

You can use 964 - but you give up more mid-range in favor of a tiny bit more top-end - which, on a turbo motor, there are lots of other ways to make up anyway.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)