View Single Post
Architecture & Porsche's

965 igntion issues: wont run, replaced/checked quite a bit

Having odd running issues on my 965 that have progressed over the last 2 months where I can't drive the car any longer.

Feels like it's having intermittent fuel delivery issues, but upon deceleration when it IS running, more/louder than normal exhaust popping from unburn fuel.

Plugs have 20k on them, wires have 40k on them, cap/rotor/distributor are all new.

Old 3.3 distributor had something fail: shaft had fallen "into" the body about 3/16" and could sit either in the normal position or pushed in 3/16". When removing, very hard to spin the shaft, none of the advance weights & such appeared to be slinging as they were supposed to. Car still ran like a scalded ape, but I thought the poor contact between the cap & rotor when the disty shaft was "in" 3/16" would be the culprit, but it's not.

Replaced the fuel filter, checked the in-tank pre-filter for debris (none), replaced the fuel pump relay, both pump fuses checked/cleaned. checked/cleaned/Ohm'd the crank trigger & looked for loose connections/corrosions at the ignitors, wires, crank trigger connection(s), etc. Coil Ohm's out normally. Running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any ideas or have 965 igntion parts they could loan me to test/diagnose my issues?
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)