View Single Post
R.I.P.

Wastegates for dummies

ok, I know what the job of a wastegate is and how it operates. But mine is doing something weird and I just wanted to see if anybody has come across the problem

Turbo- Bullseye S262 (600hp capable)

The gate in question is an XS Power 46mm (Tial knock-off). Boost control is handled electronically by MS2. I can set a boost target by RPM so that should enable me to add or subtract boost as the engine revs thru it's range.

Problem - On the street and the dyno this is what happens. In 3rd gear Boost hits it's peak (20psi) by 3500rpm, stays there till about 4000rpm then starts to decline gradually to 15.5psi by 5500rpm and stays there till I lift (5800-6100rpm). So I raise the boost target from 4000rpm-up and get no response. I have been told the spring in these gates are inferior and when they get hot they get weak and overpowered by the exhaust pressure and open more than commanded which causes the boost to drop.

There are no leaks in the intercooler piping or exhaust. It made 388rwhp last night on a dynojet. I was really hoping to make 20psi all the way and smash the 400rwhp barrier but this boost issue keeps foiling my plans.

Anybody fighting WG issues?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)