View Single Post
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Don't take offense at the 'bastard-child' comment: I am sure that someone down the road would want to buy it, but personally I won't touch someones "project" car with a 100 foot pole. Why? Any 911 is seriously de-valued when the engine is re-worked into something it never was intended to be. The crank, heads, pistons, bore, just to name a few are major differences between the normal 3.0L SC engine, and the 3.3L turbo. Those and many other changes are the 'subtle' differences that make the engine upgraded to take the forced induction(which that 930 was designed and engineered for), along with the RELIABILITY. I am sure you could twin-turbo a 911SC engine, but it might only last 10-20K.

You could chase down parts for 6-12 months, and beat youself up in the heat/cold of your garage, only to result in something less than desirable.
Even as an engineer, I trust the engineers at Porsche a LOT more than me that they did the research and development on that turbo motor. Trying to spin yarn into gold in my own garage...I just can't go there. My 7 years in university was my "mount everest". I'm not going to try and re-invent the wheel, when it's sitting right in front of me.

Cheers!
Whoa you need to climb down off that high horse your car is in the same boat as mine I do it for fun not for resale value my car was hamstrung for that from its inception due to the extent of the thiefs work but you did yours by design I am not taking offense but I think you should take another tack since you have also bastardized your car your tone is very high and mighty, wont get too much help on this forum from that. No offense but if 7 years in college is the pinnicle you should set your sights higher your already on the downhill slide.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 09-03-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)