Thread: oil suggestions
View Single Post

Hello, One aspect of oil selection is the belief that we still need a "break-in oil" ,

Try to remember when you last saw a new car, motorcycle etc. that required a break-in oil, In todays almost universal use of nickel silicon plated bore surfaces the need for increased friction during the running-in period is being questioned by many engine builders,

When we put engines back into service after a overhaul we use Brad Penn 20w 50
, And on turbocharged applications Mobil1 V-twin 20w50, I.E. the oil that the engine will be using during it's service life.

There is a abundance of information on Lubricating oils and tribology so I know it can be confusing, The above recommendations are based on our own experience not only overhauling Porsche engines but also aircraft piston engines.

In closing, My best advise during the break-in process centers on; 1-Incremental max. rpm increase, 2- Temperature control (avoid running the engine under conditions that will cause it to run at high temps) , follow this for 500 miles.

Best luck with your engine,
Regards,Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)