Thread: clutch help
View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
A broken spring on the pedal assembly or gearbox? Or release bearing fork issue?

This is the point with the clutch you can really wake up your turbos responsiveness be reducing rotating mass. This makes a world of difference on all levels.

I recommend using the pressure plate cover from the 76-77 Turbo. These are the lower profile and lightweight aluminum option produced by Sachs. Because it is lower profile the starter ring gear and release bearing need offset. Motorsport Design developed the billet stainless steel release bearing extension that fits into the oem release bearing. Then, the starter ring gear spacer is a lightweight machined aluminum extension. TurboKraft would have this set and some experience with everything in-between.

KEP Stage I works great but the pedal stiffness is a pain in my opinion. KEP Stage I is rated at 600ft tq with the stock disc...stage II is even more drastic.

76-77 Pressure Plate: 930 116 021 00 - The sachs RUF type can be used too but spendy.
Sachs Sport, sprung-hub disc: 88 1861 999 615

Happened to have this photo of the used set laying out. Disc was just renewed.

Hope this option helps...

how much more responsive is the lightweight set up you show? I know the stock flywheel/pressure plate assembly in my 79 930 takes forever to react to throttle blips. I had a 911SC by comparison which revved really freely so looking for a comparison between these 2 (dont know if you have ever driven a 911SC). Is there any negative effect on the turbo boost threshold or driveability by reducing the mass here.
thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)