View Single Post

Today’s update…

Since my wideband controllers and sensors were suspect, I borrowed an LM2 and verified by swapping it left to right that the AFR readings are different. However, the readings were not completely consistent with my TechEdge. Looks like it is time to upgrade…I think I will order the Daytona dual channel that dickague recommended.

Since the lower plugs didn’t look great, I decided to pull the top plugs as well. Only problem is that the right rear plug is impossible to get out due to clearance issues with the power steering pump. As a result, a partial engine drop was in order to gain enough access to pull the final plug. Top plugs were consistent with lower plugs.

Next I decided to test the injectors using the Megasquirt injector test mode as suggested by Mike. As suspected, two of the injectors flowed much less than the other four. Since this was the side with the wideband output going to MS, looks like I was adjusting the fuel to compensate for the under flowing injectors and as a result was over fueling the other side. Turns out I have a total of 16 of these injectors (not sure why) so it is entirely possible that I inadvertently mixed them up. As suggested by esotoracing, I have packed the entire lot and will send them off to RC Engineering to have cleaned and flow matched.

In double checking the fuel system, it turns out that the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator back to the tank is the same -8an as the line going to the fuel rails and then to the FPR. Even though I laid it out to be smaller, looks like I messed up…while the injectors are being serviced, I will replace this with a -6an return line.

Since the engine is mostly out and I am in a holding pattern with the injectors, I will pull it completely and check the cam timing tomorrow. I will also double check the coil packs and the balance of the ignition system to ensure that all 12 plugs are getting good spark.

Can I disconnect the fuel system and turn the engine over without having it bolted to the car, or is this a bad idea?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)