View Single Post

Electronic boost controllers

As mentioned before in an earlier post I am considering the purchase of a 94 3.6 turbo.

One of my concerns is that here in Thailand it has recently become almost impossible to get 95 Ron fuel with no alcohol

I have read a lot of posts on the subject and the concensus is that alcohol is a bad idea with k-jet systems. There are certainly some that say it is ok but given the value of the car I don't really want to take any chances. This car is worth around 150k usd in this market.

I have been advised to put the jumper on the ignition by many on this site but my dealer here has suggested that I consider installing an electronic boost controller to dial back the boost when necessary to avoid pinging. His logic is that I could have different adjustments for when I can get high octane fuel and another when I am stuck with 91 Ron.

My questions to this group would be

1) what do you think of this suggestion
2) if you agree that it might be a good plan, what would a good unit be? The dealer was not sure but said that HKS makes good units but he was not positive on compatibility without some research.

Really appreciate anyones educated opinion on this.

MB
Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)