View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURN-BROS View Post
Hi Andy,

AFAIK the 964 dizzy takes up too much room. I have made quite a few twinplug dizzies for turbo applications. Sorry, I do not have pics of the dizzy installed into a motor.
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your reply. What you've said seems consistent with the relatively small amount of information I've been able to find on the topic within the Pelican forums. When I expanded my search to include the rennlist board, I found an interesting thread from 3 years ago (started by Merv actually), in which a member relays the story of encountering a single turbo 911 with a 964 dizzy. Here's a copy of the post (found under the 930 forum with the title 'Pics of single turbo & 964/993 twin distributor?'):

"For anyone who doubts whether it's possible to install a 964 dual distributor for twin ignition on a single turbo 930 (with the turbo in the stock location), here's proof that it can be done. I saw a race car this weekend that had a Garrett single turbo, a custom IC, and a 964 distributor. I had heard that it was impossible to get the turbo up pipe to clear the distributor. The photo clearly shows that is not true.

Crankfire has its disadvantages; for those who prefer distributors (because a used distributor is often only $500, it allows only two coils instead of 6, easier/cheaper for CD ignition), here's proof that it can be done. If I was planning to use a distributor for twin plugging, I would much prefer this to the 12 pin RSR cap/rotor method, which is expensive and risky, given the fragility and rarity of the cap and rotor. I was told you can't do this. Wrong! Here it is. And the car ran near the front of a very fast race. "

I'd like to see some clearer pictures of this - especially with the bumper removed. I've contacted this fellow for more details.

911st tipped me off a couple years ago that the RUF RCT (Type 964 C2 conversion) ran a single turbo with the 964 dual head, twin plug distributor. I've validated that this is correct, but I'm not sure whether or not the RCT has the turbo mounted in the same location as the stock 930. I've begun contacting several folks who may be more familiar with the RCT setup, one of whom has already replied and is going to send to me pics tonight. A bit of a long shot but I also contacted RUF to see if the connection pipe they used is still for sale!

More to come...

Last edited by polizei; 09-15-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)