View Single Post

Garage
LED Tailamps for 1965-1989 Porsches...

Greetings all,
Several years ago, I bought LED turn signal and stop lights for my 92 Benz, but I sold the car.

I always admired how bright and instantaneous these newer bulbs looked, so I installed them on the back on my 911. They are MUCH better than stock units(and in terms of safety, the better people can see your car from behind at a stop light, the less likely they are to rear-end you(DOT testing mandated the rear-upper stop light after 1984, which reduced rear-end collisions at stop lights).

I have not hooked up a current meter to them, but my estimate is they draw significantly less current from the electrical system as well. Personally, I drive all the time with my parking lights on, regardless of bright sunshine. The better to be seen...the better to be avoided by people making those turns into traffic, or just missing you in the mirrors, shadows from tress, etc.

There not cheap, but for about a $25-40 investment, I believe they are well worth it. At the front of the car...not recommended, as they don't spread out the light as well as the older incandescents. Also, don't waste your $$$ on the reverse lamps...not used enough to warrant the expense.

If you are lucky enough to have an 85 and after car(US version), that upper stop-lamp is also a must do.

A total of 5 lamps for cars later than 85, and 4 pre-85 will do the trick. Take the two bulbs off of one side, and get two of each at just about any car parts place. They should last basically forever.

I'll post some photos if anyone is interested.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)