View Single Post

Got it runnning. Turns out it was

1) a failed fuel pump motor (fixed by using the old motor from the original pump that had a bum pump).

2) Wiring fault at the FP plug (I already said I hear the clicks but not the pump). Had continuity on the ground from the pump to the relay board, but not on the hot side. Fixed by making a new wiring harness that I spliced in behind the right side running board.

3) Two failed injectors on the driver side (odd that both on one side would fail at the same time). Fixed by working with ones that I never sent in for the core charge. Shot brake cleaner in them and carefully worked with the needle until they were free enough to operate (dad let it sit for 14 years before I got to it). Once I reinstalled these, I had fire in all four jugs.

4) Plugs had some carbon buildup, but not bad, replaced anyway.

5) Replaced fuel filter just for giggles while I had easy access up front.

6) Installed inline check valve just after the pump on the line going to the engine.

Still getting pressure drop off after shutting down (takes about 5 seconds to reach 10 psi, after that about 10 minutes before 0 psi). After putting the aux check valve on the line, I'm pretty sure it's not flowing back through the pump. Could this be a sign of a failing pressure regulator? It does hold a steady 30 psi when it's running.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)