View Single Post

The B&B single out stainless steel muffler is relatively quiet. I think one of those would work for you.

I have no affiliation with ex indycar driver Billy Boat or his company B&B but the muffler is good quality and the headers work good too.

One came on my car when I bought it along with B&B headers and with it removed and the tail pipe removed I took a piece of pipe and with a big ballpeen hammer I bent the V shaped perforated baffles that were just inboardof the in and out pipes out of the way of the exhaust flow.
I was able to break some off and others just bent over.

Years ago we sometimes used to use the pipe and hammer technique to blast the honeycomb ceramic core out of catalytic converters to gut them for better flow, for people that wanted that.

The B&B single out muffler also has about a 1" thickness of fiberglass or something like it all the way around the inner circumfrence with thick perforated steel to hold it in place so even with the baffles out of the exhaust flow it doesn't resonate like a big empty can would.

The top and bottom halfs of the muffler are still seperated into chambers by a long piece of flat steel and at the far end (right side of car) there is a 3" piece of pipe about 6" long the exhaust has to flow through to get from the top chamber to the bottom chamber. You would have to cut the muffler open to get rid of the piece of pipe and I havn't done that, but would like to try it for better flow and more horsepower.

Anyway, with the 4 or 6 little perforated V shaped baffles bent over and out of the way the muffler is still pretty quiet but now I can hear a faint turbo spool out the exhaust and I really like hearing that.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)