View Single Post
Got Boost?

Garage
Parts sourcing for prototype update, today I went out to a couple of Junk/Salvage Yards thinking they would be begging to get rid of CIS devices. Even went to an old friend from back when I was hot rodding watercooled VWs, he now owns a great Water Cooled VW Service Center and told me the CIS systems are scarce. Turns out nobody has them, this was a complete surprise, specially when just about every european car from the 70s and 80s had such a system on them, but not a show stopper, I will try ebay, if not then the Carrera 3.0 will have to become the prototype and test environment.

On another note, based on research, a regular stepper motor will not give us the resolution and speed that we need for accurate control so I am looking for the right servo motor and driver combination. I was also thinking of an intermediate prototype phase just to test the ability of the servo to control the plunger by controlling it with a MAF and an intermediate signal conditioner in between. The reason behind this, the plunger is controlled by an air meter, a very archaic by today's standards, but that's what it is. So I am thinking of a Fly by wire Plunger Controller by reading Mass Air Flow from a MAF sensor and not having to touch the rest of the cars setup. It would be a stand alone solution.

911st, WinRice and the rest of the crowd, keep up with the conversations your having, they will become very helpful soon.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)