View Single Post

Can of worms.

It has been said the euro dist dose not have boost retard???

The US dist retards on boost from about 25 deg to about 18 deg. It also has vacuum retard at idle. The Euro I believe only has vac retard at idle.

You could test your's by removing the dist cap and using a hand pump to see if the dist plate moves toward retard or advance under boost or vac.

With US fuel I believe Porsche wanted timing "on boost" to be about 18 deg advance on the 930. On the later 91-94's with mapped electronic ignition that took intake air temp and other factors into account I think they ran around 21 deg advance on boost.

I am not sure how well a euro dist it suited for running US fuel in most cases with out adding boost retard to protect the motor.

Just timing a single pot dist euro to a US dist's specs is probably NOT a very good approach and could leave one at 25 deg advance on boost if my info is correct.

This dose not mean people have not done so without issue and even found some added power. However, get some poor fuel, get stuck in traffic with the AC on on a 100+ deg day and get into boost...

I could be wrong but in my mind this is still an open question.

I suspect adding an MSD with Boost-Retard to a Euro single pot dist could be a very nice combination. I think I would start by setting timing to to about 30 deg advance at rpm and letting the MSD pull timing back to about 20 deg advance at .8 bar.

Last edited by 911st; 09-26-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)