View Single Post

930 Engine Drop Questions

A few questions for the braintrust here. I have an 87 930 that has 26K mi., is bone stock and in need of a clutch. The car spent some time in Fl, garaged but still exposed to salt air, lots of mild surface corrosion on the underside nuts and bolts but nothing real extreme car is very clean overall. Long story short I was just going to drop the engine but found both CV boots on the left axle need replacing so that has to come off too. I have everything drained/off/disconnected and am at the point where I am putting wrenches on the engine bolts to see if I can get them to budge. Now is the point where have questions:

The bolt on top of the starter seems like a real *****. I assume you get there with an allen socket on an 8'' extension with ratchet on the back side of the starter? I have a 6'' & 10'' extension and could not get a good bite on it with one being too short and the other too long. Once on there am I going to get enough "umph" on it or am I going to end up pulling the whole thing down without transferring any energy to the nut itself. What are the tricks here?

As far as the other standard/hex headed nuts, does a crows foot offer any advantage over a socket or end wrench?

Is there any reason I should not just drop both the engine and trans together seeing that I have to do one of the shafts anyway, then redo all the CV boots since I have them off?

I have come to the conclusion that everything is going to take about twice as long as I had planned but am in no hurry, just want to get it done correctly and safely.

Please advise, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)