View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
I never really got this!

First why put it higher in the chassis where it is going to move the center of gravity and front roll center higher? This is why we lower a car.

Second, on a car with 50% more weight over the rear (and especially a 930) why would we want to move weight any more toward the rear of the car?

Seems a better place unless there is something in the way like a fuel cell, oil tank, spare or such would be as far forward, to the right, and low as possible.

I would look to the rear of the car first for weight reduction. Exhaust, euro bumper struts, rubber bumperets delete or euro's, rear seat backs, RS carpet kit, rear under carpet pads delete, fiber lid and or tail...
Think about what Porsche does when they produce or make a mid-engine car...that large chunk of mass is inside the wheel base, unlike our 911 beasts which rest on top and behind the wheel base.

The closer you can take ALL mass from either end of the car, and move it inside the wheel base, the better it will ultimately handle. I remember filling my car up with heavy oak firewood from Canada(yes I know it's a bit crazy), and driving it down to So. California. In theory, it should have balanced the engines weight nicely...in reality it really made the car push/understeer at triple digit speeds(which when driving it was a bit scary)

I have "Shamu" to just under 2500lbs(1983SC converted to a 3.3L Turbo), so with a lot less surface area(in terms of aero drag/weight, fully gutted a/c(which includes all those lines running to front/back compressor, fan set-up in smugglers box, no rear seats, no rear panel with speakers, no radio, no electric antenna, and a whole LOT of other nooks and crannys where I got got crazy gutting superfluous stuff. That dead weight gone is free HP. This winter is Stage 3 of cutting out the fat...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)