View Single Post

We're sure doing a collectively crappy job lately between this one and isveb's no-start issue. I'm almost embarassed to claim any knowledge on these cars anymore.

Next time you start her up, do it in complete darkness and look for any electrical arching. Just a long shot, but you may find some poor connection grounding out. Wires, coil, CDI, distributor.
It sounds like you've got fuel...the car should run and run fine in the driveway even with only one of the pumps running provided all the fuel related "stuff" is functioning properly. If one of your relays in the engine compartment was faulty or loose she wouldn't run at all.

At this point I wouldn't entirely ignore fuel as a possibililty, but let's stay focused on what you did prior....an electrical spark system refreshment (I don't feel that even if the fuel filter was put in backwards you would find it causing this issue). You need to get this thing to idle at 900, even if crappy (open up the idle adjustment as already mentioned, or have some keep their foot on the pedal for you) and stick a timing light on the beast. If timing is way off, then suspect vacuum line issues as one possibility.

This kind of diagnostics is no different in a 930 than it would be for a VW bug. Just very difficult to do from afar with only the written word to look at.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)