View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Patrick,

Good to hear you could feel the effect. That is the most valid point of reference for doing the mod I have heard.

If it felt "much better" this might also be an argument that the front is sensitive to weight and where is it placed. If so all I am saying is put it the best place available. If one is carrying a spare tire and dose not have A/C the battery box with a lighter battery is fine.

I am not saying it is not an improvement. I am saying I do not think the polar moment is a very valid rationalization for the mod and that further forward, to the right and lower in the chassis would be even better.

And! That on the list of things that can be done to make a car (or driver) faster, this would be pretty low on my list after things like great tires, a book on driving, a strut brace, tire temp probe, or even deferred maintenance.

As for improvement, I suspect the real gains are from reducing the weight of the car about 20-30 lbs with a lighter battery and improving the the front wheel side to side wheel imbalance about 20%.

Using the propeller (lets say wheel) example is a simple and good way to explain what polar momentum is. However it dose not match the magnitude of what we are considering.

What we are doing is more like like taking a 20" 20lb wheel and moving a gram or two inward about 1/2". Not measurably going to effect the wheel via polar momentum.

However, move a little weight around on the wheel to get it better balanced and you have made an important improvement. Or lighten the wheel and we will be able to accelerate it faster.
I don't think Pat said anything about feel, maybe I misread his post, but I just looked again.

I'm interested to find out where you get your theories from.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)