View Single Post

I wonder if the nitrogen gas inside the shock may have somehow been compromised or leaked out when the groove for the lower coil spring hat was machined into the rear shock bodies.

If I understand everything Frank told me these new Bilstien sport shocks worked fine and damped really well when he installed them before removing them to have the machine work done.

The nitrogen gas pressure that is seperated from the oil in the shock by a floating and moving dividing piston keeps pressure on the oil in the shock so it does not become aerated over high speed rough road surfaces, and may also affect the rates of the compression valving dampening and the check valve and oil flow valving during rebound dampening.

As an example to relate to this.. If you let the 300psi of nitrogen gas out of a Fox Racing Shock resovoir, all the rebound dampening will completely dissapear.
I know because that is what happened on an '84 Honda 500 Interceptor I have with a Fox Racing rear mono shock.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)