View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Personally...I would find an excellent 930 model that was originally designed and engineered for the US market(as in smog, safety, emissions, etc). Not just in this forum, but since 1980, I have known a LOT of people who have bought gray-market cars, only to find conversions where done iffy

When you try to run that "VIN" at the dealer for anything...they simply do NOT know you, and neither will Porsche North America will have anything to do with your car, period.

In terms of an accident, your car may have legal issues that it wasn't up to US Standards(such as door instrusions, bumpers that are not 5MPH, glass that is not DOT certified, etc)...in terms of smogging it...it was converted, but by whom? On the flip-side...re-sale down the road? One NEVER plans on reselling a car or house when one is in the mode of buying it, but it WILL be a questionable buy more so to anyone one in the "know" who may want to purchase down the road, and attempts to run that VIN for something like a CARFAX.

Gray-market cars...I just won't go there. Of course this is one-mans opinion.

Be VERY careful on an"impulse" purchase of anything. Cars are an investment...and usually it's very much a negative-return investment(in terms of dollars).
It's interesting you are so skeptical of gray market cars yet you have an 83 Turbo? Isn't that a Euro? My SC is a Euro and it's great. I have more horse power and never have had any issues with registration, etc. In fact the 930 in question is being sold by a dealer. The big draw for me for Euro is the extra power.
83SC Euro w/77 3.0 Carerra Eng.--sold
Several other daily drivers not worth mentioning...

Last edited by jwakil; 10-08-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)