View Single Post

One thing that I wonder about grey market cars is whether the mileage is really correct. The speedo had to have been changed when brought into the US, that is always an opportunity to fudge things. I often wonder about early 911 SCs with swapped out speedos, there seems to be a lot of low mileage SCs out there.

As someone pointed out, not all grey mkt conversions are equal. I remember the eighties well, there must've been hundreds, if not thousands, of grey mkt companies that cropped up to take advantage of the situation. Many of them were "here today, gone tomorrow" kind of companies.

I also want to point out that PPIs are somewhat overrated. They are only as good as the person doing it. There are a lot of mediocre mechanics out there, very very few great ones. I've had one one great PPI, this guy's inspection was so detailed it blew me away. On the other hand I've had several, as it turned out, lousy ones.

Mac

Last edited by matsuzaka; 10-09-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)