View Single Post
Registered

Max

The factory cut out the sheet metal in approximately the area where your flash overexposed it and it appears whitish, and dealt appropriately with the top end of the "nut" mount, which penetrates the trunk area sheet metal, and moved it up the 13 mm.

I posted the page from the shop manual which shows where to make the cuts, though it didn't copy too well and the dotted lines for cutting are hard to see.

The other way is the Fricke short cut, which involves cutting off the standoff, recreating just enough of a ring to socket into the recess in the top of the cross member so the bolt isn't doing the locating or taking all the shear, and not messing with the rest. I think a good welder/fabricator could do a good job of this. My rings cracked when I got into a racing incident and I had to reweld them.

I don't believe the 930 had a different cross member. I think a lot of us hot rodder racers would know were that the case. We all know about the turbo bananas in the rear, etc. A look at a parts catalog for an '80s pre-964 tub 930 would confirm or deny this.

Walt
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)