View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Yes Keith, it is.
When I bought the car ignition was stock and so was the CIS lambda system and fuel head. It got around 20-22mpg on the highway back then too. On a long 675mile nonstop trip my exhaust pipe was a nice medium brown color. Never see that with combination city and highway driving now though... just dark a grey.

I have static timing around 10 or 12 degrees before TDC and the relatively new USA 1987 vac advance and vac retard distributor is working fully stock as it should with no vacuum or thermal switches in either of the vacuum lines, and the MSD 8762 boost retard module also pulls back timing starting at 5psi boost.

My steady cruise timing is probably around 35 degrees BTDC and full boost timing gets pulled back to around stock with the factory boost retard and the MSD boost retard set to retard timing 1.5 degrees per psi starting at 5 psi both retarding timing under boost at the same time.
MSD 6AL CDI with 7000rpm rev limiter pill, magnacore wires, and Bosch W4CS plugs gapped at .040"
This ignition set up really wakes the car up.

I am using a vacuum solenoid grounded by a summit racing digital rpm switch in the boost pressure line going to the control pressure regulator set to open at 4600rpm as a "boost clamp" so midrange AFR is not too rich.
Sounds awfully familiar, but Jim's got me with his 964 cams.
We get the best of both worlds: a much needed performance wakeup and better gas mileage.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)