View Single Post

Water-to-Air Intercooler vs Water/Methanol Injection

So I'm still a few months away from starting the next phase of the turbo conversion on my '87 Carrera, and I'd figured I might as well kick this topic around and hear what you have to say. I've been planning to go with Water/Methanol Injection (WMI) on my turbo Carrera due to space limitations under the stock Carrera whale tail. There are a number of other folks on the forum who have successfully installed it, and they have reported great results. Sure, there are plenty of nay-sayers, but that's the case with anything that's not 'the norm'. It sounds like the bottom line with WMI is that you need to have it installed correctly with all the fail-safes to ensure that your engine doesn't go kaboooom!

I've recently been looking into the alternative of water-to-air intercooling (WA I/C). It's been suggested to me many times, given the constraints of my wing. I've searched this forum to find other folks who are running WA I/C. There is a fellow from Norway who I've reached to for more info, but not many others. I'd like to discuss the pros/cons of WMI versus WA I/C. Let's leave air-to-air intercooling out of it for this discussion.

WMI Pros:

1. Doesn't add very much weight
2. Highly effective at reducing detonation
3. Highly effective at cooling intake charge
4. Does not add any turbo lag

WMI Cons:

1. Requires frequent refills (depends in part on how large your reservoir is)
2. Requires fail safes surrounding fluid level, injector flow & general system operation
3. Methanol is corrosive to aluminum

WA I/C Pros:

1. Highly effective at reducing detonation
2. Highly effective at cooling intake charge

WMI Cons:

1. Adds more weight than WMI
2. Adds turbo lag
3. Requires installation of radiator - potentially cutting up front valance

This is just a conversation starter. There are plenty of smarter folks out there. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)