View Single Post
Outlaw 911

Tail - go get some tail I say....

Love the TRE narrow body flares - I am ordering a set for my Outlaw 911 -

I am 90% sure the tail above is from a 964 RS America - I have a replica in the garage - just checked. Yes, it has a small box under the tail that could house an intercooler - the box is smaller than the OEM 78 to 89 Turbo tail, but there is room, but you will need to cut the rear lid open to make room.

Porsche tails (not including the duck) are an interesting lot - there are alot more OEM versions than I first thought.

1 Original whale tail narrow - 75 to 77 930 Turbo - I have seen fiberglass with rubber lip and a full rubber version too, but only on 911's. I think the true turbo versions have a small vent in the tail portion that had a duct down to the fan - there might have been an AC condensor in there. I saw one a few years ago.
2 Original whale tail wide - RSR - full fiberglass - version with tall verticle fins and a wing - used on early 935 (75/76)
3 Tea tray - 78 to 88 Turbo, 965 Turbo 3.3 - looks kinda heavy on narrow car - not one of my favorites.
4 Carrera "thin" - no box and almost flat - RUF used these on the YB - pretty common- very pretty on a NB car.
5 964 RS America - looks like a Carrera "thin" but with a small box underneath and bit more of kick at the end. Looks good on NB car.
6 965 3.6 Turbo and Turbo "S" - looks like a mix of a 930 and 993 tail - does not have verticle rubber fences on the side - body color. Have not seen many of these.
7 993 Turbo tail - "droopy and organic looking" probably does not fit a non- 993.

Any others?

Last edited by Outlaw 911; 10-19-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)