View Single Post

Bad turbo seal cause smoking all the time?

I have an intermittent smoking problem with my 86. It could be that my turbo seal is bad and that's why I'm asking if that would cause smoking all the time.

I always let my car idle for a minute, at least, before I shut it off. I drove the car to work one day and was letting it idle when I noticed a good amount of smoke in the mirrors, got out and the smoke was coming out of the tail pipes. I took the IC off and there was some oil around the flange on the pipe that connects at the IC, the turbo housing was very clean and dry. I assumed that my turbo seal has gone bad. I drove it home several hours later and this time, as I let it idle, it never smoked. It has been the same case since that time, sometimes it smokes and sometimes not.

I've read some of the threads regarding this type of problem and am wondering if it's not some kind of restriction in the scavenge system, that's why asking the question. I owned an import car parts business for 25yrs and I remember reading that to always check the oil return hose/components when a turbo car is smoking. Some turbo remanufacturers insisted that the return lines be replaced when installing a new turbo.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)