View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Hey Andy,

The worst part is no one has really done any back to back testing, I guess it would be pretty hard to arrange. With water to air you would have limit space for a radiator and it would end up going in another compromised position. I think the best way would be an intercooler for turbokraft that fits under the lid like they made for someone else on here and a water meth kit for hot days or just to run as well... Maybe we can get a deal on 2 intercoolers
Hey Spence! Glad to have you joining the discussion. Yes, these two methods of cooling are not very popular options among the classic 911 crowd, but they definitely have their merits. As I've mentioned above, the constraint holding me back from an air-to-air unit is that I'd like to keep the stock look - no turbo tail. I've gone back and forth a bit with Chris from Turbo Kraft, and he mentioned that he won't fab air-to-air I/Cs for Carrera deck lids anymore - either with or without a whale tail. He says there's just not enough space to get an efficient one in there - not worth the money.

Chris installed a water-to-air I/C in a 993 Carrera a few years ago. The car was featured in Excellence magazine back in April '06. Here's the link to the build on Crhis' website:

Mike's 1995 Carrera 2 Twin Turbo "Sleeper"

Another fellow on Pelican installed a water-to-air unit on a turbo conversion with a duck tail. The I/C he fit in his engine bay has more than enough capacity for my HP goals, and I don't think I'd have any trouble getting one like that in mine. His build is here:

Watercooled intercooler system on aircooled 911

The parts are pretty inexpensive in the states for water-to-air components. The only electrical items to install are the pump and the optional fan for the radiator. Other than that it's just a matter of mounting the radiator & I/C and running the lines. If you've got the engine out, I bet this could be installed in just a few hours. Mounting the radiator is probably the trickiest part. I imagine that an efficient one could be installed in a wheel well, though. I believe Chris installed one in the driver's side wheel well for that 993:

For the price that these systems can be purchased, I'm thinking about installing both WMI and a water-to-air I/C. It should provide loads of cool air to the engine and relatively cheap insurance against detonation.

I'd just like to hear from more guys who have gone down this path!

Last edited by polizei; 10-26-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)