View Single Post

Hi PeteD,
I have the same dist. setup on my 2.0 with Dells. On the Dist. the "outboard" connection is the "Advance" side of the vacuum pot, the "inboard" connection is the "Retard" side.
Connect a vacuum line from the vac. port on the carb to the Advance side of the Dist. Oh, don't forget to use a NEW gasket on the dist. shaft, otherwise it might leak oil. Make sure the internals of the Dist. are cleaned up also and that the advance/retard mechanism works without binding or sticking. Make sure the vac. pot works by using a straw to apply a little vacuum or pressure and observe the arm movement from the vacuum pot.
After you install the dist. and vac. line, then set the timing as close as possible. Warm up the engine good then set the timing to where you want it. Drive 5 or ten miles with varying load (hills, hard accel, etc.) and listen carefully for pinging. If you hear it then back the timing down (carry a 10mm wrench with you on the drive so that you can back off the timing if you hear pinging so that you don't do any damage while returning to the garage). Reset the timing again and repeat.

Oh, I forgot, cap off the "inboard / retard" side of the vac. pot so that water, dirt, etc does not get in there.

[This message has been edited by wjdunn3 (edited 12-07-1999).]
Old 12-07-1999, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)