View Single Post

Help me choose the right turbo

Hey Guys,

I've been taking my time to choose the components to use on the 2nd turbo conversion of my '87 Carrera, and I'd like to ask for your recommendation on an appropriately sized turbo for my setup, as I don't think the current one I have is up for the task.

From the research I've done, I'd like to run 1.2 BAR boost. My understanding is that additional internal modifications need to be made once you exceed this threshold (e.g. flame ring the cylinders). I'd like to achieve a HP curve that is versatile enough to be enjoyable both on the street and track. I'm OK to sacrifice a little spool time to achieve more HP. Full boost by 3500 RPM sounds good to me.

Here are the specs:

Narrow body '87 Carrera with 3.3 L turbo cylinders & 8.0:1 compression pistons
Electromotive TEC-3R EMS w/ distributorless twin plugged ignition
Carrera Cams
Custom AMS headers w/ T4 Flange - thick wall
Aquamist HFS-3 Water/Methanol Injection w/ 50:50 mix
Water-to-Air Intercooler
Carrera Intake Manifold
55 lb Bosch injectors with Bosch 044 Fuel Pump

I'd *like* to achieve at least 500 rwhp with whichever turbo I choose. Is this a reasonable target HP for this setup? What's the max HP you would think I could achieve?

With the Water-to-air intercooler setup, it would be pretty easy for me to water cool a ball bearing turbo. What turbo do your recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by polizei; 10-29-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)