View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv911 View Post
I have had a beautiful set of GHL headers (w/heater boxes) sitting in my attic now for 3 years (impulse buy). I have not installed them because I have questioned if the factory 965 exchangers are nearly as good.
What should I expect from installing these. Here is a description of my car.

1982 911sc narrow body @2675 lbs with out me in it.
Engine is a a factory 965 3.3 Turbo S engine (rated @370hp)
The turbo S engine has different cams and heads. I dont recall if its the same turbocharger but recall its a K27 7200.
I added a modified fuel distributor and run the boost at 1.2 bar with excellent a/f ratios and exhaust temps.
Aside from the fuel distributor the entire engine is stock. Of course the 965 muffler and cat were swapped out for a large single outlet stainless B&B muffler. Wastegate has an open down pipe.
The transmission is a 1987 G50 box with very short gearing.
Full boost comes in around 3000 rpm with current configuration.

Will I get any worthwhile reward from installing these GHL headers?

Kurt Williams
Hi Kurt,

I can give you a first hand result, close to what you are asking but not exact. I dyno'd with a friend who also had a 91 turbo. The difference between our two Turbo's were I had a set of power house headers with B&B muffler running .8 bar and he was running a 100% stock exhaust but with a 1 bar spring. I made ~100 ft*lbs more torque then he did at 3k rpm. How much was due to headers vs muffler can't say.

The B&B muffler did eventually split on me and I had a Borla XR1 muffler fabed up ($250 and the local speed shop) and saw an increase in just under 30 whp. This has been a known issue for years and B&B came out with a "sport" muffler to address this.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)