View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
This is a good topic to start. A lot of people jump on the aftermaket headers for some reason or the other (no offense to those dealers), maybe the sound, weight reduction and a bit of boost early on. It is interesting to see the stock system put to the test on on some super fast cars. For instance, there is a 3.0 on Rennlist that uses the stock system with most everything else stock, and here is the dyno:

Then there is Micke's CIS monster at 600hp, same thing with the stock euro headers.

Cis monster

And another car on this forum runs low 11's in the quarter mile with the stock headers.....

Quarter mile results.

....so, yes, the stock header system is a good topic to discuss, as it certainly does not limit the power capabilities and, in some cases, may actually enhance it.
i am not really sure where i am going with this post, but maybe someone can help,...

i had a 04 sti,...very heavily modified, making around 460hp, with stock exhaust manifold (headers)...

there were a ton of companies that made "headers" for these cars,...alot of owners chose to port the stock manifold and stay away from headers due to the "cast metal" of the stock manifolds vs. the "stainless metal" of aftermarket, due to the heat being kept in better by the stock cast manifolds,..something about the hotter air moving faster? or being more dense? something along those lines,...

alot of guys with aftermarket headers would have to wrap the *#&$ out of them, or they would actually loose spool up time...

then brings up the topic of wrap, and fire haZard with oil and such...that is why alot of guys just stayed away from them,...

has anyone here had the stock manifolds ported and heat coated?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)