View Single Post

Garage
New Turbo now or later?

Car : Euro 87 930 with Japanese Catalytic converter and stock muffler

(I posted this by mistake on the 911 tech forum so have reposted here)

-To date ahve driven car for approx 1.5hrs until oil leak and missfiring induced garage visit:

What started as a worsening oil leak is now starting to gain momentum!
To access the leaking oil pipe, it was decided to drop the engine - no major issue.
The car was running roughly and so the mechanics have now found that some plastic parts which are on the intake manifold are either warped due to heat? or melted and so need replacing as were letting in air - sourced from Germany and expected 10 day delay
I am sorry I cannot identify the parts properly (as I am in Italy and car in UK)
This may be part of the problem but it is also a start. They are checking the fuel line filters aswell for blockages (car ran fine cold but spluttered and restricted and stalled when warmed.
The car also has a catalytic converter (disconnected- poss. causing further fuel issues) as was set up for Japanese market - but is a Euro car. So I am having muffler and cat removed and installing new performance muffler.

BIG $$$ question is:

Should I get the the car up and running (with new muffler) and do the new turbo down the road when the bank balance recovers?

Is there any financial sense in installing a K27 7200 turbo now whilst the engine is dropped and tune the engine to the new muffler and new turbo?
-Is it easier to install new turbo whilst engine dropped?

I know I am already down that slippery HP=$$$ road as I was originally going to drive the car 'stock' before modifying

What would you do and why
thanks
Ben
Current car:
1987 930 RUF BTR clone
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)