View Single Post
Registered

I may be wrong, but don't all 930's come with hydraulic tensioners? Back in the day of earlier 911's they were considerd the wise upgrade, since the mechanicals can fail without notice and bend lots of valves and break lots of piston crowns in the process. Yes, you probably get more accurate valve timing with mechanical and with the safety locking collars you can at least prevent catastrophic damage in the event of a tensioner collapse. My personal opinion FWIW is hydraulic over mechanical.
My old '73 911T had mechanical without locking collars. One failed; luckily it only bent one exhaust valve...sodium filled at something like $75 if I remember (this was WAY back and my memory is fogged over the years). Did the work myself, but had I kept the car I would have converted over to hydraulic.
Can locking collars be installed on hydraulic tensioners (might be a redunant)?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)