View Single Post
porschesaur

Howdy FastFred,

Driven a Euro (9/76 build) 930 since 12/83. If the emphasis is on driving impressions, they are the most balanced and athletic of the 930's out of the box (even if the limits are low). But, if one's dwelling on the comparison part agains the 3.3's...especially in light of what these can drive like with modern engine management, impressions aren't nearly as favorable.

You didn't mention US or Euro, US's don't really have a discernible boost hit, they sorta swell up in a surge, and having thermal reactors, several hard pulls in intermediate gears and throttle response softens noticeably from heat. Euro's had a faint resemblance to the 3.3 power delivery, just notches down on scale and suffered from the same heat soak situation. Having essentially brakes off the 73S, they have less unspring weight (and big fade), feel nimble and more composed on rough pavement. 3.3's with 67ish more pounds hanging over the rear axle, that heavy clutch package and those big rotors/larger wheels acting as flywheels feel noticebly less nimble but with 7/1, more displacement and semblance of an intercooler, they have a more immediate sense of urge on throttle tip in that makes them "feel" nimble though one senses alot more propensity for oversteer. These cars like to be set up for a corner, not tossed in casually like the earlier ones.

But, that said, the 75-77 is a heck of a platform for a car with the driving characteristics of a Carrera with the power of a turbo. I sold my 3.0 motor in 85 and installed a brand new theft recovery 3.3 (Allen Johnson Racing - stolen from the EPA shop) and adapted it to fit that short 77 earlier trans. Along the way it got the usual stuff with emphasis on lightness, 944 turbo brakes, gun drilled bars, mag BBS's off of a Group B. Then...in 04 it got a package engine and EFI. At 2,675lbs with half a tank of gas with 474RWHP it is what my 73S shoulda been. A nimble sports car with a huge reserve of power.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)