View Single Post

My ''77 has a 1978 930/60 fitted.

I see no signs of the rear shelf being modified. I no longer run the stock airbox - but it used to fit back there, although it was pretty tight.

I had the single, stock '77 fuel pump with the stock(-ish) 930, AFR's were fine.

Switched to a single 044 motorsport pump because I was suspicious about the 911S pump. The 044 made exactly the same amount of noise. With other mods, the car made 370HP at the rollers 3-4 weeks ago. AFR's aren't great over 5,000 - I actually don't think that's the pump.

Your 1974 915 isn't great for the application - but you will like 5-speeds. A Lot. Trust me, a "real" (non-factory) 40/65 LSD that breaks @ 79ft/lbs is money well spent - you will thank yourself every single time you lift off...

G50 is probably the way to go if you ever want more than stock power, otherwise a later model, beefed-up 915 can cut it, with care. Sachs Sport Clutch is holding up well, so far (been through several clutches). I think the Sachs 915 Power Clutch is marginal with a stock 930, personally.

255/40/17 rears work fairly well for me, but you'll need SC flares for that.

Brakes. I recently ditched 3.2 brakes/rotors in favor of 996 N/A (which are very nice). 3.2 brakes were not confidence-inspiring in any way, really. And 3.2 brakes are a lot better than what was originally fitted to mid-year cars.

Suspension. I have 21/30 torsion bars. The rear was nowhere near stiff enough with a stock 930 motor - was considering fitting 100-150 # "helper" coilovers to reduce squat (when the cowl is getting in your line of sight, it's an issue).

With a more progressive turbo like a K27/HF, it's much, much better.

I would advise new transmission mounts. Preferably stiffer ones. I used WEVO semi-solids. It's a lot cheaper than a money shift.

On the topic of which, replace the factory rod bolts with aftermarket. ARP work.

If I were to do this over, I'd would start with a 964 or 993 motor and turbo that, although I'd still run it in a non-widebody car. Someone has to redress the karmic damage caused by all those "turbo" and "RSR" clones with SC motors...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)