View Single Post

Garage
overboost switch question/wastegate malfxn

I just put on RarlyL8 headers and ditched the GSF($250 if anyone is interested, only 300 miles on them and have heat/ I could not get rid of small exhaust leak)
Before the header change, I swore I could hear my wastegate open and whistle with the glass down when the boost gage hit 1 bar(I have a 1 bar spring in stock wastegate with new diaphragm)
Now if I hit max boost which seems to come so much faster than before, It just shuts OFF and I almost hit my face against the steering wheel. I assume Im exceeding the max boost and the switch is shutting it off to protect the engine...
Is there anything that could have caused this just from switching to new headers. The car runs and boosts great, just the boost shuts off abrubtly on max boost. My gauge is the little stock boost gauge that flattens at 1 bar so I dont really know how much boost Im at when the car does that. I do know it did not do it EVER before and I could hear the loud "psssssttttt" sound on the drivers rear side on max boost. Any ideas on what to check?
Thank you,

Apparently all I needed to do was put extra gaskets on the GSF headers to make them seal but I was sick of it so I got the new system.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)