View Single Post

Garage
'86 930 PPI Tomorrow, What should good compression and leak down numbers look like?

Hey gang,
Been lurking here in the shadows for a while prior to registering, sort of like a long time listener, first time caller so to speak...

So after owning a 911 years back and always dreaming of owning a 930 one day, I bit on what looks to be a very sweet all original '86 911 Turbo with 47K miles and all the history one could ever ask for. The deal certainly seems fair if all checks out, but certainly there are both more and less expensive cars available in this market. While on the surface every thing looks litterally perfect, if there are any skeletons found to be hiding in closets causing unexpected SURPRISES, there would certainly be far better deals to be had.

The full PPI with road test, compression test and leak down is set for tomorrow morning. While I have done a few primitive compression tests and even primitive leak downs on some of my own projects over the years just enough to be familar with the process(es), I was hoping some might chime in with what I should be looking for in terms of good results that should expect to see on a car of this vintage with 47K that seems to have been extremely well cared for. While I am totally pschyed about owning this sweet car and now even my wife is starting to share my enthusiasm as well (I never thought that would happen), if it looks at all like the engine is suspect as apparently some are at around the 50K mile mark, I might very well be inclined to cut my losses and just try to find another 930 with a solid power plant.

Is it just me or is the #6 often times the most usual suspect?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Cheers, Dave, AKA RideSober
Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)