View Single Post

Garage
Are you consistently overheating the brakes now?

The stock brakes are more than capable of stopping the tires quickly, even with the extra weight and potential speed of a V8 powered 944.

Now, how much tire do you have on the road, how sticky are they and are you running into tire lock up or brake overheating issues?

Or are you just after the look of the big reds?

Options are:

Stock brakes with titanium backing plates, brake cooling ducts and more aggressive brake pads and braided stainless steel brake lines. All bolts up as stock, parts are relatively easy to find at a parts store, etc.

Volvo 2-piston front calipers from a 242 w/vented brakes and stock 944 rotors and uprights. Similar as above since Volvo's are so easy to find and it is only a change to the calipers and drilling the caliper to accommodate a single brake line.

Rennbay big brake upgrade kit (uses Wilwood calipers) and stock uprights. Good solution, Wilwood parts are pretty common in the performance world, doesn't change the geometry of your front suspension.

944 Turbo brakes (Black Brembos), requires different front uprights (you could lose the stock speedometer drive) rotors, front struts, master cylinder and rear calipers. Depending on the year you choose to source your parts from, could also change the offset of your front hubs and require a wheel change to compensate.

911 Turbo caliper upgrade (Big Reds), same as above only you need the 911 calipers.

Personally, unless I'm looking for the "look" with the Porsche cast calipers or I'm consistently overheating the brake fluid/pads I wouldn't bother with the turbo brakes unless you luck into a donor.
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S (Silver Rose)
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)